From: Phil Thompson [mailto:ph...@wpiinc.com]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 8:07 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Transaction logs

I have 30 some GB of transaction logs that are no longer used. (for what
ever reasons)..

I read this article that gave instructions on how to tell where the last
log that was committed.

The instructions are below. I want to run this by you'll before I do
this. It is a valid thing to do?

*********

How to manually (and safely) purge Exchange Server transaction logs

To do this from a command line, go to the \Program Files\Exchsvr\bin
directory on the server and run the following command:

eseutil /mk "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\E00.chk"

(The quotes are important, as they delimit the full pathname for the
file.)

In the results returned you'll see these lines:

LastFullBackupCheckpoint: (0x0,0,0)
Checkpoint: (0x2,EC2,1C7)

The first number in the "Checkpoint" entry -- 0x2 -- is a hexadecimal
number that refers to the last checkpoint log. Therefore, any logs
numbered E000001.log or earlier could be removed. If the checkpoint was
0x14C8, then logs numbered E0014C7.log or earlier could be removed.

Thank you,

Phil

***Teletronics Technology Corporation***
This e-mail is confidential and may also be privileged.  If you are not the
addressee or authorized by the addressee to receive this e-mail, you may not
disclose, copy, distribute, or use this e-mail. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail or by
telephone at 267-352-2020 and destroy this message and any copies.  Thank you.