Thanks for the replay, I put some answers below.

1] Why do you think you need a remote Exchange server?
We currently have about 80 users at the main office and about about 40 at the branch. The branch will be expanding to about 80 users as well. There are already people complaining of performance issues with their mailboxes currently, though it could be an issue with our ISP. This expansion has led me to think that if we are going to double up over there, we should have a local Exchange server for them.

2] What defines "big deal to setup" for you?
We are a 2 man shop and from the reading I have been doing it doesnt sound like its going to be a big deal, meaning I can get it done in a weekend without affecting the network for the users. We are closed on weekends.

3] Ever used ILM, MIIS, or IIFP? If not, how were you planning on working
password synchronization between the two forests?
There is only a simple 2000 server DC at the branch office providing files, DNS, DHCP so dropping in a new server setup under the main office forest isnt a big deal. I am not familiar with these Microsoft services for forest integration.

4] Are we talking Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007?
We are running Exchange 2003 but are planning up upgrading to 2007 as part of our expansion.

5] how big are the two forests, and why were they set up separately to start
with?
Like I said, they are not that large, especially the branch. They were setup separately because we didnt have a connection between the two locations when we first set them up.

6] Do the same business drivers still apply?

Yep