From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 10:26 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: OWA

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Fogarty, Richard R CTR USA USASOC
<rick.foga...@us.army.mil> wrote:
> Since our customers have the ability to work with some sensitive
> documents, OWA has always been discounted due to the possibility of a
> customer opening up a sensitive document on a public computer.

  Disabling OWA attachments, as MBS suggests, might fix that, but
then, I'm guessing the reason people want OWA is to open those
sensitive attachments, right?  :)

  SSL doesn't protect "leftovers" as some suggest.  For one, by
default, MSIE still caches SSL content in the plaintext "Temporary
Internet Files".  You can enable "Do not save encrypted pages to
disk", but we've found that causes some sites to malfunction.  Plus,
to open an attachment, the attachment *must* be saved as plaintext to
disk, so the application can open the file.  SSL protects the
transport over the wire, nothing more.

  But the biggest issue with OWA (and things like it) is that you're
allowing any computer in the world to access your systems.  That
includes computers without updates, with poorly chosen security
settings, with no firewall, full of spyware, including keystroke
loggers to sniff your OWA password, etc., etc.

  Using a OTP device like the RSA SecurID fobs will counter the
password sniffing attack, so bad guys won't be able to get into OWA
from elsewhere.  But they can still sniff content from the OWA session
itself.

  And nothing will protect against lusers saving sensitive content
from an email body to the untrusted computer.

  Frankly, in an environment where security is of overriding concern,
I recommend against allowing *any* untrusted computer to connect to
trusted resources in any way, shape, or form.  If they need remote
access, user is provisioned with a trusted laptop (configured by
company IT, without admin rights for the user) and they can use that
to connect to OWA or full Outlook via some kind of secure tunnel
(i.e., VPN).  This is the only way to ensure the trust chain isn't
broken.

  This is all based on risk assessment, of course.  In many
organizations (especially smaller ones), email and in-company desktops
are already pretty insecure, and there's nothing overly sensitive in
email in the first place.  OWA's not much of a risk, then.  But given
that your email address ends in <.mil>, I'm guessing you're not one of
those.  :)

-- Ben