Thats why I quit using NT Backup......... Seen it too many times, not enough hours in the day to chase it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kurt Buff" <kurt.b...@gmail.com>
To: "MS-Exchange Admin Issues" <exchangelist@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:53 PM
Subject: Re: A very odd problem...

Anyone? Bueller?

After lots of fiddling, still no success.

Can do the backups manually, but the batchfile tanks. I've even
regenerated the .bks file.

Kurt

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 19:05, Kurt Buff <kurt.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
All,

In my UK office, I've got three servers - a DC, a file server and an
E2k3 server - all are SP2 R2. There is no AV running on the Exchange
server.

The file server has an external LTO3 tape drive attached to it, and
for about a year it was working just fine pulling backups from the
Exchange server - I installed the ESM on it for just this purpose. The
DC is doing a system state backup to a share the file server.

However, the NTBackup batch job that I'm running to pull the Exchange
backup to the file server's tape drive has recently stopped working .
I was able to get it going again last month by rebooting the Exchange
server, but it was failing with this error message:

The requested media failed to mount. The operation was aborted.
The operation was ended.

I am able to pull a backup by manually starting the wizard as the same
user that the scheduled batch file was using and specifying the
Exchange server's storage group. But when running as a batch file,
whether launching the batch file manually or as a scheduled task, it
fails to pull the backup of the Exchange server. The batch file backs
up the entire file server first, then goes to the Exchange server.

I just tried launching the batch file again, and the error message I
got this time is different, but still a failure:

The network disk drive has stopped responding. Backup set aborted.

I'm not finding anything on google, either - most were regarding SBS,
and pre-SP1 at that, and the rest don't seem to fit my circumstances.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kurt