This is a pretty big generalization...but for an Exchange environment
with a small(er) number of high-powered mailbox servers, however you
want to divide up your resources - CPU, RAM, disk I/O -- you get the
same product on physical or virtual. If you aren't going to scale up
to a dozen or more less-powerful mailbox servers, then virtualization
may not help you; in fact, the TCO for Exchange will be HIGHER when
virtualized. The VMWare or even Hyper-V layer has administrative costs
and can introduce additional complexity over sitting on physical
servers.

But virtualization will probably always make sense for other roles,
especially if it's already a strategy for your datacenter.

Sent from my mobile device