Are you sure it doesn't do the check during SMTP and just return a 5xx invalid
recipient to the still connected sending server? That is the point of these
kinds of LDAP lookups generally. I HOPE the support guy misspoke......

From: Osborne, Richard [mailto:richard.osbo...@wth.org]
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 12:32 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: symantec smtp mail filter help

I can't help with your LDAP query, but I'm also a Symantec Mail Security for
SMTP user.  I decided not to use their LDAP sync feature after support told me
it sends out an NDR for every e-mail sent to an invalid recipient.  I didn't
want to send that much backscatter out onto the Internet.  Just something to
think about.

Richard Osborne
Information Systems
Jackson-Madison County General Hospital

NOTICE:  (1) The foregoing is not intended to be a legally binding or legally
effective electronic signature. (2) This message may contain legally privileged
or confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this
message, please so notify me, disregard the foregoing message, and delete the
message immediately.  I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.