I had this happen a while back, ended up rebooting the file server and
the problem was resolved. Hasn't happened since. Would love to know what
was going on...

Jeff

From: Kevan Dickinson [mailto:kevan.dickin...@cmi-plc.com]
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 5:55 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Problems with PST files on a Network Drive.

Hi

Since Friday afternoon I have been having some people report that they
can not open their PST files.

All PST files are stored in users home drives on the Network.

When trying to open the file from within Outlook they are told that they
do not have permission to open the file. However they have full read and
write access to the file. I reapplied permissions just in case.  If I
copy the PST locally then the file can be opened. If I copy the file
back to the Network drive the error message changes to, "Outlook can not
open this file"

I know that Microsoft does not support PST's on a Network drive but we
have worked this way for many years and I know that lots of other people
do as well.

Anyone any idea what may be happening here? It's affecting about 10% of
our users at the moment and as I said earlier started happening on
Friday afternoon.  The clients are running a mixture of Office 2003 and
Office 2007.  We use Exchange server 2003.

Kevan Dickinson

Network Manager

NSF-CMI

23 Lodge Road

Hanborough Business Park, Long Hanborough,

Oxford, OX29 8SJ, UK

T:+44 01993 885661

E:kevan.dickin...@nsf-cmi.com

W:www.nsf-cmi.com

********

    ***Disclaimer***

The contents of this Email may be privileged and are confidential. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Should you wish to use Email as a mode of communication, NSF-CMi Ltd and
its subsidiaries are unable to guarantee the security of Email content
outside of our own computer systems.

This footnote also confirms that this Email message has been checked by
MailMarshal for the presence of computer viruses. Whilst we run
anti-virus software, you are solely responsible for ensuring that any
Email or attachment you receive is virus free. We disclaim any liability
for any damage you suffer as a consequence of receiving any virus.

NSF-CMi Ltd
Registered in England No: 1899857
Registered Office 4th Floor, 35 New Bridge Street, London, EC4V 6BW