I think most vendors put an appliance internally that runs through the journal
mailbox then "syncs" "sends" "uploads" data it to their offsite infrastructure.

- John Barsodi
From: Don Ely [mailto:don....@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:00 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Calculating Storage for Archiving

Journaling likely and since it's external and very ugly method of journaling...
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 8:55 AM, John Hornbuckle
<john.hornbuc...@taylor.k12.fl.us<mailto:john.hornbuc...@taylor.k12.fl.us>>
wrote:
Some built-in Exchange functionality, as I understand it. Exchange can be
configured to direct a copy of every message to somewhere else.