I have an interesting issue that has been happening for almost 6 weeks now.
Every Wed. at approximately 1:40-1:45 PM, one of our domain controllers
basically becomes totally unresponsive, causing the other two DC's to become
effectively useless, AND causes the Exchange server to become unresponsive
to clients.  (Outlook 2003) .

The only clue that I have from the event logs is from the Directory Service
log,
Event ID:  1232
Source: NTDS Replication
Category:  DS RPC Client
Type:  Warning
(RPC) to the following server.  The call timed out and was cancelled.

Server:
f9f58f44-e7e7-4ea5-92fe-aa38ff4cb646._msdcs.domain.com

The server guid referenced here is one of the other domain controllers, that
at this point in time, is scheduled to be rebuilt. (FSMO roles have been
moved, etc etc)

The Exchange server event log just shows that it cannot contact any global
catalog server and lists the 3 dc's that we have which are all global
catalog servers.

During the duration of this "outage" this specific dc cannot be accessed
either remote desktop, or direct on the console, but the other dc's are
accessible as well as the Exchange server, albeit very slow response.

I have Googled,looked at EventID.net and Microsoft on this, and have come up
with very little.  Did find a MS KB article that recommended making a
registry change on the DC's to make the RPC call timeout at least 45
minutes, this was done last week, and the DC's were rebooted over the
weekend to apply this registry change, but, today it happened again, so that
didn't work.  Found some other MS KB articles that were not applicable but
did reference that event.

Windows 2003 server, SP2.  My question is, what the heck is replicating once
a week that could be causing RPC to time out like this and basically bring
the domain to a halt for 10 - 15 minutes?  As I stated, this DC is going to
be rebuilt, it just annoys me that I cannot find the reason for it, and a
solution other than the rebuild.

TIA,
--
Sherry Abercrombie