Every article I've seen that describes horrible performance seems to
be talking about having the journal mailbox on the same Exchange
server as the mailboxes being journaled.

In my experience, journaling should only be turned on if you have a
compliance reason to do so. If that's the case, let your archive
product use the journaling as described. If you DO have a compliance
requirement, then adding a small server to host journal mailbox(es)
shouldn't be too much to ask.

If you DON'T have a compliance issue driving this and just want to
archive and stub, then I would recommend against journaling. There are
vendors that don't require it. Try Mimosa instead of the usual
suspects - they don't even require MAPI...

--James

--
Sent from my mobile device