> But why isn't an e-mail system a file transfer and storage system?

The transfer problem may never be solved--at least until SMTP v2 comes
out--but I bet if Exchange had a feature like SQL 2008's FILESTREAM then
storage would no longer be an issue.  Or maybe yEnc MIME extension will
gain traction some day (8-bit binary encoding at 1-2% overhead)?

These silly limits on how many items go in such and such a folder will
have to go away as well and it appears to me (looking at the office 2007
SP2 efforts) that this may already even be underway.

~JasonG