> We are looking at possibly colo'ing an exchange server to do a store and
> forward in case our main exchange server/datacenter has problems.

Howzitgo? In theory, theory is the same as practice.

The theory in this case being that with a secondary MX or other
disconnected gateway architecture there will be next to zilch work for IT
dept. and zero mail lost even in an extended disaster.

At first this seems like a good idea. Then, in practice, you run into the
operational issues Rob talked about.  There's also a pretty good chance at
some time that such a setup will start generating spam in the form of
blowback.  There are other issues too if you're willing to look into it.

But consider the fine points of SMTP delivery: if your Exchange was
unavailable for even a couple of days, you will still get nearly all the
mail in a few hours after the system is back online.   This is because
senders will queue and try to send for about 3 days in most cases.  What
about the mails that aren't part of this "nearly all?"

OK, for those few stragglers (or in the case that you're down for a week
all mail) that don't get delivered, consider that every sender will get a
message saying their mail wasn't delivered and they will resend or call or
whatever.  You will likely find that they've probably already called when
their system warned them after half a day that their mail hasn't been
delivered yet.

For the smaller or even medium sized shop a $25/mo. dialup line as backup
connectivity starts to look pretty attractive; you can transfer a lot of
mail on a 56K connection.  Adding an imaging based backup solution like
Acronis and you're golden.

~JasonG