From: Joe Pochedley [mailto:joe.poched...@fivesgroup.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:12 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Microsoft Forefront...anyone using..opinions

Pete,

We've been using the hosted Forefront for Exchange for the past 18 months or
so...  Prior to that we were using a locally hosted Barracuda box for spam & AV
filtering...  We switched to Forefront for basically the same reasons (changing
our EA brought it along basically for free).

So far the service has been good.  Detection accuracy is good.  Haven't had any
problems with service availability...  Latency caused by messages traversing
through the detection centers seems to take < 5 seconds every time I've looked.
 Customer service / support has been good, though I've never had to use it for
anything major (just a couple questions on setting up the Directory Sync tool).

There are a few false positives here and there, mostly newsletter type things
that have ads in them..  Occasionally a message from one of our Asia-Pac
customers or distributors will get flagged as spam.   At this point I haven't
incorporated the Safelist Aggregation (whitelist) for Exchange 2007, but that's
actually on my to-do list for this afternoon.

My only real complaint is that the administrative reporting and message
tracking aren't all that great.  The level of detail is sufficient for business
types, but of course I'm not a business type.  :)  Oh, and if you ever want to
know exactly why a specific message was blocked (say to troubleshoot a false
positive), the support team will tell you that the detection criteria is
proprietary info and won't give you details.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ping me.

Joe Pochedley