I occasionally saw this in 2003, the left over was usually much smaller,
appeared as disconnected, but couldn't be manually purged.  I never left
those databases around long enough to see if the mailbox purge task would
clean them up.  You can't delete the database while that mailbox still shows
up there so what we did was dismount the database, delete/rename the edb/stm
files, mount (orphaned mailboxes are now gone), delete store.

-alex