Most people don't because it does just the opposite.  You are now subject to
public folder replication for having up to date free/busy.  If the users and
the f/b server are not well connected then it may be worth paying the price
for a little out of synch f/b to get a little snappier response from the f/b
populating in OLK.

Of course, I am assuming you are running Outlook 2003 clients or OLK 2007
connecting to Ex2003.

-alex