Yup - we stripped the ILoveYou virus but let the messages come through -
got LOTS of help(less) desk calls from (obviously lonely) users
complaining they couldn't open it.

________________________________

From: paul chinnery [mailto:pdw1...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2009 8:46 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: All Staff Distribution Lists

We've got about 175 users but we handle it pretty much the same way  as
Ben described.

However, I've been doing this back to 1996 when we put in MS Mail and I
can't really remember when anybody ever abused the system.*

*Well, I gotta take that back.  When I was on vacation in FL back in
2000, one of the directors passed around the ILoveYou virus (unwittingly
of course; he opened an email and boom-virus time).

> Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:09:08 -0400
> Subject: Re: All Staff Distribution Lists
> From: mailvor...@gmail.com
> To: exchangelist@lyris.sunbelt-software.com
>
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Scot Parsons<spars...@scetv.org>
wrote:
> > We have a growing problem with users sending non-business related
emails to
> > the all staff list. What are your policies? Do you restrict user
access to
> > certain employees or handle it through management?
>
> We've only got maybe 65 email users, so our broadcast DL is open to
> everyone. If someone abuses it they get spoken to. I think that's
> management's job, and I'm lucky they agree.
>
> In a larger org, I would definitely restrict to certain senders,
> just to minimize the potential damage.
>
> -- Ben

Get free photo software from Windows Live Click here.
<http://www.windowslive.com/online/photos?ocid=PID23393::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL
:en-US:SI_PH_software:082009>