From: Robert Peterson [mailto:robert.peter...@prin.edu]
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 2:03 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: CALs required for "Contacts"?

Does anyone know and can point me to documentation on whether Exchange
CALS are needed for email enabled contacts or distribution groups, since
there is only forwarding and no mailboxes on the Exchanger server.

My question:  Active Directory allows you to setup "Contacts" that do
not have security rights like "user" objects.  And these contacts can be
set to have a local domain e-mail address, but all mail is forwarded to
an outside mail system such as their Yahoo or Gmail account. There is no
mailbox storage on the Exchange server, thus the question on whether a
CAL is needed? I guess this question would also concern all AD
"Distribution" groups too, since it is doing the exact same thing.

Thank you and have a great weekend everyone,

Robert