Outlook complaining would have nothing to do with smtp and more with
IIS. Specifically autodiscover.
You are correct the "-services none" parameter does not work and the
documentation is misleading on Technet and is due to change shortly.

If this is NOT the default cert (the one used for x-anonymous tls) and
it is just a self-signed cert you created, why not just run
remove-exchangecertificate?

If it is a 3rd party CA cert and you only want to remove smtp as a
service then go to c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys and remove "Network Service"
from the ACL of the cert file in there.
You can find which cert is yours by matching the timestamp on your
cert when you run get-exchangecertificate |fl NotBefore and attempt to
match that time with a date modified timestamp in the file system
within that folder
That will remove smtp as a service from the cert but based on what you
write I don't think smtp is the issue here

Thanks