I'll let others weigh in on the "Should I" part of the question. In my
experience, that's usually more a matter of office politics and clout than good
IT practice.

As to the how, I've never been happy with the solutions offered. As far as I
know the shell is the only place to whitelist. The syntax is easily typoed and
your entire list can be deleted with a bad entry.

The best solution I have is a script that recreates the whitelist each time it
is run. I can't claim original authorship and I forgotten where I got it, but
it's worked for me. Since the script recreates the list each time, removing an
entry from the script removes them from the running whitelist.  I keep backup
copies of the script, so if I make a mistake, I can quickly run the earlier
script and fix it.

$list=Get-ContentFilterConfig

$list.BypassedSenderDomains ="customer1.com"
$list.BypassedSenderDomains +="customer2.com"
$list.BypassedSenderDomains +="vendor1.com"

$list.BypassedSenders ="tinycusto...@aol.com"
$list.BypassedSenders +="wannabecusto...@aol.com"
$list.BypassedSenders +="execw...@aol.com"

$list | set-ContentFilterConfig

$list=Get-ContentFilterConfig
$list.BypassedSenderDomains
$list.BypassedSenders

You'll need to change the BypassedSenderDomains and BypassedSenders to your
needs. Watch the plus signs an entry without a + starts the list. Entries with
plusses add to the list. Copy the lines with the plusses to add to the list.

"BypassedSenderDomains" whitelists the entire domain, "BypassedSenders"
whitelists a single email address.

The last portion of the script prints the whitelist to the screen, so you
should see your results there.

Hope this helps,