From: Michael B. Smith [mailto:mich...@smithcons.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:27 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Symantec BEX 12.5 GRT backups good/bad

It isn't, strictly speaking, a blb.

OTOH, it depends on Symantec properly decoding the contents of an Exchange
database - as a database.

While that can surely be done (and lots of people sell products based on that
capability), there is lots of room for error. Lots.

Personally, I think you have deleted item recovery, the capability is built
into Exchange, and you should use it. (The generic "you", of course - not
pointing fingers at Dave...)

Backups are for DR. [I've written a paper on this that should be published on
Simple-Talk soon.]