Depends how your Exchange is set up. You can set exchange to require
authentication, if that is done then he is right. What version of Exchange? It
could also depend how their app is set up. They may have built it to use a
domain account because so many people do require authentication for Exchange.

From: Eldridge, Dave [mailto:d...@parkviewmc.com]
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 12:06 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: email from SQL05 requires account?

I have a vendor that is trying to send an email to people here from their app.
He is telling me he needs an AD account and a mailbox in order for this to
work. I don't relay but if the sending address he uses
(vendoru...@mydomain.com<mailto:u...@mydomain.com>) sends to
whome...@mydomain.com shouldn't an smtp email go thru the exchange without an
AD account being created?

I am I missing something?

This e-mail contains the thoughts and opinions of the sender and does not
represent official Parkview Medical Center policy.

This communication is intended only for the recipient(s) named above, may be
confidential and/or legally privileged: and, must be treated as such in
accordance with state and federal laws. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any use of this communication, or any of its
contents, is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
please return to sender and delete the message from your computer system.{token}