From: Richard Stovall [mailto:rich...@gmail.com]
Sent: 01 February 2010 18:49
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: 2003 to 2010 planning

Good afternoon one and all, and please forgive the long post.

I'm thinking about proposing the upgrade from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010
this year.  We're currently running a single monolithic server that has
(knock on wood) been extremely reliable for going on 5 years.  We've got
~100 mailboxes now, and I don't see us ever growing past 200.  The
information store is currently 110GB, and the perfmon-reported Single
Instance Ratio is pretty large at 22.  We have ~10 remote users who use
Outlook Anywhere, ~10 PDA users, ~10 Mac (Entourage) users, and OWA is
available to most everyone.  AD is a single domain forest, is at 2003 Domain
and Forest Functional Levels, and all DCs are 2003 SP2.  We have a single
physical site, and only one site in AD.

Before rolling out 2010, I intend to deploy an e-mail archiving solution of
some sort.  My hope is that, in addition to the obvious retention and search
benefits this will provide, it will also take some of the pressure off of
Exchange 2010's storage requirements by allowing me to finally enforce
mailbox size restrictions without reducing the availability of older
messages.

I've been poking around the interweb, looking for information that will help
me determine how to design and deploy Exchange 2010 in a manner appropriate
for our environment.  The most promising thing I've come up with is a simple
statement on the Microsoft page that describes Exchange 2010 Mailbox
Resiliency
(http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/2010/en/us/Mailbox-Resiliency.aspx).  It
says, " For smaller sites, you can deploy a simple two-server configuration
that provides full redundancy of mailbox data along with Client Access and
Hub Transport roles. These changes put high availability within the reach of
organizations that once considered it impractical."  That sounds like
exactly like what I'm after - a simple-to-maintain, two server solution
where all the inside roles are redundant.

Does this configuration sound appropriate for an organization of the size
and characteristics described above?  Does anyone have any pointers to more
in-depth discussion of this two server configuration?  (Is there a
particular name for this configuration?)

Lastly, from what I can gather, this can be accomplished with Exchange
Server 2010 Standard and Standard CALs.  For an organization the size of
ours, I don't think I need the added benefits of the Enterprise CAL at this
point.  Message hygiene is handled by the Barracuda and Sunbelt's VPE
product, and I believe mailbox resiliency is available in the standard
server regardless of CAL type.

Any thoughts or comments are most welcome.

Thanks,
RS