Thanks Michael. The connectivity test was unhappy that the SSL name had
a mismatch between the External FQDN and the cert (we use a wildcard
cert). So I used Set-OutlookProvider EXPR -CertPrincipalName to set the
wildcard cert name and now it passes the test.

It has now worked on 4 out of 5 tries. The failed try, I rebooted and
tried again and it worked (when it failed it was just re-prompting for
credentials over and over).

Interestingly, the prompt for domain members is still the internal name,
but it does accept the credentials.

Brad