From: Senter, John [mailto:john.sen...@etrade.com]
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 4:44 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Drop Unity for Exchange 2007/2010 UM?

We actually did a POC of Exchange 2010 to Unity.  Currently we have Unity setup
in a standalone forest so it is completely separate from our Exchange side.
Management is wanting to integrate VM into the users mailbox so we have Unified
Messaging.  Me as the AD/Exchange guy I did not like the idea of installing
Unity in our primary domain because it requires a lot of elevated rights that
would then be available to our telecom guys, via the Unity management console.
So I opened my mouth and suggested looking at Exchange 2010.  We currently have
Exchange 2007, but that lacks the MWI (message waiting indicator) interface
unless you use a 3rd party.  So we setup a lab with Unity and Exchange 2010 and
I configured the same options that we are using on Unity.  The only thing I
could not get on the Exchange side was a voice mail box that had no greeting,
Exchange requires some kind of recording.  We did the side by side comparison
with management and they like the idea of going to Exch 2010.  The integration
into Outlook, accessing contacts and calendar items, and the VM preview we key
things they liked.  Going with Exch 2010 also allowed me to keep the telecom
team from having elevated rights in the domain. We will UM enable a user in the
same process as creating the user.

So now I am starting a project to upgrade our Exchange environment to 2010 from
2007.  Still in the design phase.