That would be my suspicion, as well.  All of my emails sent from my iPhone
are in my sent items.
I no longer allow iPhones to access our Exchange server unless I have
permission from our COO (mine included) so I can't try sending an email from
a place where we don't have a signal and see what happens.  If you can do
so, I'd suggest trying that.  He might've been a victim of phantom
reception, or his internet connection was lost during the send process
borking the whole operation.  Or sunspots.