If not already set, try turning on encryption in Outlook.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Steele" < paul . steele @ acadiau .ca>
To: "MS-Exchange Admin Issues" < exchangelist @ lyris .sunbelt-software.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:21:23 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Outlook won't connect to Exch2010

We’ve encountered yet one more problem on our new Exchange 2010 server. When
the server install was first completed, one of the first things I did was
create a test account and connected to it using Outlook. It worked as expected.
OWA also worked fine, as did access to the account from an iPod Touch. When
Outlook tries to verify the user account, it says it can’t connect to the
Exchange server. One thing I’ve done since the install was completed was
install a UC certificate and it works as expected with OWA. Being paranoid I
removed the UC cert and assigned services back to the default Exchange cert,
but that didn’t help. At this point I’m not even sure if it’s a certificate
problem.

I tried setting up Windows Mail using both POP3 and IMAP protocols, and both of
those protocols failed as well. The error message indicates that the server is
rejecting the username/password but since I know I’m using the right
credentials there’s obviously something else happening. What would allow OWA to
work but break everything else?