Agreed, I too have not touched a physical Exchange server in about 3 years.
SAN or no SAN you have to be able to satisfy the requirements.  With ESX 4.0
the "too much IO for virtualization" should not be an objection (even with
previous versions but...).  A single ESX 4.0 host can push greater then 300k
IOPS.  Exchange 2010 is no where near the IO hog that 2003 was.  We've seen
about .1 IOPS per mailbox for heavy workloads.

As to real world examples, we currently run about 2200 extremely heavy
Exchange 2007 users (.7 IOPS/1.3 RPC Ops/sec) on the standard MBX
build, 4vCPU/16GB VM.  Average mailbox size is about 1.2GB.  With that build
we run about three of those + 1-2 CAS (2vCPU/4GB) and 1-2 HT (2vCPU/4GB) on
the same hardware.  Carry that 5x over and we have our entire Exchange
environment on 5 physical servers.  The underlying hardware is HP C-Class,
4x4 Intel procs (2.4Ghz) with 64GB RAM.  The mailbox VMs themselves run
about 35-60% utilized and the physicals run about 65% utilized.

-alex