If the deleted items retention option doesn't pan out for you, simply
restore the database into the recovery storage group.  Exmerge the mailbox
out to a PST and then either Exmerge the calendar items back into the
mailbox, or use Outlook to connect to the PST file and copy the items over
in Outlook.

Depending on the size of the datastore and the speed of your equipment,
restoring to the recovery storage group could take time.  Expect about as
long as your backup takes. Make sure you have sufficient space. All the
steps are easy.  I do this or similar every week as a part of my backup
verification process.

-Bill