So this is actually interesting information vis-a-vis the original question.
 The users will have accounts in a Windows AD domain you manage, but the
machines they use are external and will not be domain members?  Am I
interpreting your latest post correctly?  How will the users' accounts be
setup in their Outlook 2007 profiles?  RPC over HTTPS (Outlook Anywhere)?
 POP3?  IMAP?  MAPI over VPN (ugh)?

What type of Exchange environment do you have?  SBS or stand alone Exchange?