i did change the redirection to redirect 2003 users to our 2003 front-end
server but now i got a 400 (bad request page) page.
[PS] C:\Windows\system32> Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -Identity "
AMS1-CAS-01.eu.acme.com\owa (Default Web Site)"  -Exchange2003URL
https://2003front-end/exchange

Outlook works fine though.

When i test from 2003 front-end server https://localhost/Exchange shows me
the OWA login page. However when i browse to
https://webmail.acme.com/Exchange (our public OWA URL) it uses the
redirection but it redirects to
https://2003front-end/exchweb/bin/auth/owaauth.dll
I have been checking Michael's article
http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/exchange-server/Migrating-from-Exchange-Server-2003-to-Exchange-Server-2010-A-Small-Organization-Perspective/6.aspx
and
followed it. The only difference in my setup is that i exported the SSL
certificate from or old frontend to the new CAS server