Hi,

I finally got to decommission our last 5.5 box yesterday.  It's been a
long time coming!  The SRS server and all connection agreements are
going to be removed next week as per
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124572(EXCHG.65).aspx I'm
currently running Exchange 2003 SP2 and I'm are going to change the
operational role to native mode as soon as the SRS is gone.  I would
like to move to Exchange 2010 in the next 6 months but I'm slightly
worried about our setup.

I have approximately 4000 users, half of which are in a different forest
to the Exchange server.  In forest A (with Exchange) we have multiple
child domains and in forest B a single domain.  All users in forest B
have had their user accounts migrated and disabled in a child domain in
forest A.  I've used the AD Clean tool to merge the ADC object with the
migrated user object prior to disabling them.  The enabled user account
in forest B has "Associated External Account" rights on the migrated
user's mailbox.  Eventually all users will be logging on to forest A but
this is proceeding quite slowly.

Is anybody using Exchange 2010 with mailboxes in 1 forest and users in
another?  Were there any issues?  Would I be better off running both
(2003 and 2010) until all users are logging on with their migrated
account?
Regards,
Patrick
Patrick Nagle ,
IT Analyst, Enterprise Applications Group,
Computer Centre,
University College Cork,
Cork, Ireland
* + 353 (0) 21 4903217