        From: Dave Wade [mailto:dave.w...@stockport.gov.uk]
        Sent: 03 August 2010 15:49
        To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
        Subject: RE: Normal, or out of whack?

        Can I suggest that you read your Software Licences carefully. As
far as I can tell ours no longer makes references to MAILBOXES. As per
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/2010/en/us/exchange-2007-how-to-buy.as
px its says

                "A CAL is required for each user or device accessing
Exchange Server"

        This includes access through Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Web
Access, Outlook Mobile Access, Exchange ActiveSync, or any other
messaging interface.  Now you need to choose "per user" or "per device".
As I understand things we thought it was easiest to count devices so we
have "per device" licensing. We now have issues with things such OWA and
SmartPhone access. For device licensing a user with a Smart Phone, a
desktop and a laptop should have three Exchange CALS and three Windows
CALs. On the other hand if three users job share and only use a single
PC. (e.g. library counter staff, receptionists) , then only a single CAL
is needed for all three users.

        I don't believe you can mix modes. Not sure on the rules on
changing modes.

        Dave Wade