From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:48 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Any SPF Wizzes Out There?

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:30 PM, John Hornbuckle
<john.hornbuc...@taylor.k12.fl.us> wrote:
> And naturally, it's the Florida Auditor General's office that's
> rejecting it-so it's kind of important to get it fixed.

  Have you tried contacting the destination and asking them why they are
rejecting you?

> spf-t...@openspf.org
> Postini #550 5.7.1 <spf-t...@openspf.org>: Recipient address rejected:
> SPF
> Tests: Mail-From Result="pass": Mail From="john.hornbuc...@taylor.k12.fl.us"
> HELO name="na3sys009aog113.obsmtp.com" HELO Result="none" Remote
> IP="74.125.149.209" ##

  My *guess* (and I emphasize "guess") is that when your outgoing MX (which I
guess is actually Postini) connected to the destination (the AG's office), it
opened the SMTP transaction by giving the name
<na3sys009aog113.obsmtp.com>.   For example, with the SMTP command:

        HELO na3sys009aog113.obsmtp.com

  For me, that name resolves to 74.125.149.209, which matches the IP address in
the above.  However, if I try to connect to that IP address on TCP/25, the TCP
connection never comes up.  I presume it's an "outbound  only" configuration,
and any incoming connection attempts are silently dropped at the network layer.
 Perhaps something is attempting to verify that the HELO name given actually
leads back to an MX which identifies itself by that name.  Since the connection
is never made, it can't say one way or the other; hence "none".

-- Ben

NOTICE: Florida has a broad public records law. Most written communications to
or from this entity are public records that will be disclosed to the public and
the media upon request. E-mail communications may be subject to public
disclosure.