From: Pfefferkorn, Pete (pfeffepe) [mailto:pfeff...@ucmail.uc.edu]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 10:33 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Questions on Forefront for Exchange

Somewhat off topic.  Exchange 2007, 2 front end servers and 6 backend services
on a active/passive cluster.

Just installed Forefront for Exchange over the weekend on our frontend servers
as well as our backend mailbox cluster.  I'm to understand that MS recommended
installing on the Hub servers as well as the mailbox servers since the hub will
scan all incoming and outgoing and mark messages scanned so the backends are
less taxed.  All mail hits the front ends in any case so this makes sense.
Everything installed fine after de-installing our Scanmail.  Got it installed
as a resource and all looks good :-)

The one question I see is that on the backends.  I can run a manual scan and it
scans all mailboxes etc so the scanner is working.  The problem I see is on the
Realtime Scan Job.  It says its enabled, services running, see jobs out there,
etc...but when I go to the Report function and incidents tab the Realtime stats
are not incrementing.  They are all zero.  I can see the manual incrementing
but not the realtime.   Somewhere I recall that the Backend scanning is for
public folders and calendar items.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the scanning
works on frontend versus backend structure for Exchange.   I had scanmail only
installed on the backends and the realtime scanning was always scanning all new
entries.

One additional note.  These stats were not incrementing even before I had the
hubs installed so the new messages coming in should have been seen the flag for
the scanning done on the front ends.

Pete Pfefferkorn
University of Cincinnati
Systems Engineer/Messaging Administrator
(513) 556-9076
pfeff...@ucmail.uc.edu