Ugh.

Problem #65,234 in my Exchange 2007 server installation. Why is it always
difficult?

I've got my server installed and setup, but we haven't migrated any data yet.
I'm attempting to run a backup using Windows Server Backup. It's erroring out
with a 2155348129. Google tells me it's a problem with a Dell Utility partition
that's marked active and sure enough, I have one of those.

There are a couple of fixes online, listed here. Both involve changing the
active partition to the system drive, which will in all likelihood create an
unbootable system. Then they list recovery tools to fix the boot process.

I guess I have a couple of questions. First, fully off-topic, has anyone run
into this issue and are there unforeseen nightmares? Is there an easier fix?

Second, is this a safe procedure on an (currently) unused Exchange Server?
Given this mess, would you uninstall and start over or run one of these fixes?

The proposed fixes (thanks to Google) (I notice the second solution is SBS. I
have regular 2008):

Change the active partition to C and try to reboot. If the server is
unbootable, do this:
1. Insert the Windows Server 2008 DVD.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Use the Windows Server 2008 DVD to start the computer.
4. Choose the desired language and keyboard settings, and then click Next.
5. Click the Repair Your Computer link on the bottom left of the screen.
6. Open the Command Prompt and run the command "copy
c:\windows\boot\PCAT\bootmgr c:\bootmgr" (without quotes) and press Enter.
7. Run the command "attrib +h +s c:\bootmgr" (without quotes) and press Enter.
8. Run the command "bootrec /fixboot" (without quotes) and press Enter.
9. Run the command "bootrec /rebuildbcd" (without quotes) and press Enter.
Choose Y to the prompt to add the installation to the boot list.
10. Restart the computer.

And

Step 1
- Mark the Windows Partition as active in Disk Manager
- Backup works fine now (and that makes me feel better about having an
unbootable server now!)
Step 2
- Let's fix the boot configuration:
- Boot from SBS 2008 install DVD, click next, next, install now until the point
where you are asked for the product key
- Press Shift-F10 to get command prompt
- Let's 'unhide' the evil OEM partition:
- type Diskpart and hit enter
- type 'list volume'
- see the volume that is about 63MB in size and FAT partitioned? - that's the
number we need, in my case it was '2'
- type 'select volume 2'
- type 'assign' to assign a drive letter
- type 'list volume' to see which drive letter was assigned - in my case it was
"F:"
- type 'exit' to exit diskpart
- unhide bootmgr file and bcd directory by typing:
'attrib -h -s f:\boot\bcd' and 'attrib -h -s f:\bootmgr'
- copy bootmgr and boot dir over from f:\ to c:\:
- type 'robocopy f:\boot\ c:\boot\' ('xcopy' or 'copy' might work too, i just
like robocopy better)
- type 'copy f:\bootmgr c:\bootmgr
Now let's fix the boot configuration using the SBS 2008 DVD
- run 'x:\sources\recovery\startrep.exe' - follow the wizard
- reboot when the wizard is finished and everything should be fine!

Thanks in advance!

Steve