From: Joseph Heaton [mailto:jhea...@dfg.ca.gov]
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:52 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Edge Transport Server - Exchange 2010

This morning, I decided to recreate the Edge subscription.  When I did, with
the default settings, outbound e-mail was working.  The difference between what
we had, and the default is on the Network tab:

Use domain name system (DNS) "MX" records to route mail automatically.  (and
the Enable domain Security checkbox IS checked) - This works.

Route mail through the following smart hosts: (IP of the Edge server) - This
does NOT work.

The Source Server for the connection is the Edge box.  My new question:

If the Source Server is set to the Edge box, this tells Exchange that outbound
mail has to be sent from the Edge box, right?  So from there, it would look
outside to find the proper MX record, and send the mail to the next hop, right?

I need to "know" that the outbound mail is actually being routed through the
Edge server.

>>> "Michael B. Smith" <mich...@smithcons.com> 9/23/2010 6:01 AM >>>
Just for the moment, take the Edge server out of the equation.

Can the internal HT send email directly to the Internet?

If so, I'd blame this on your subscription. How did you set that up?

Regards,

Michael B. Smith
Consultant and Exchange MVP
http://TheEssentialExchange.com