Thank you, Simon.  That means my executives with 5-10 GB mailboxes have
even more junk they're unable or unwilling to delete than even I
thought.  If only we could get buy-in on enforcing some policies.  J

Philip

From: Simon Butler [mailto:si...@sembee.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 6:46 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Mailbox Expansion During Upgrade?

I know where this thought of mailbox size doubling may have come from.

If you compare the size of the mailbox in ESM with the size of the
mailbox as displayed in Exchange Management Console, then it will be
very different.
The reason for this is that ESM doesn't report the true size of the
mailbox - it only reports the size of the mailbox in one of the two
databases that Exchange 2003 uses.

Therefore a mailbox will appear to double in size, purely because its
true size is now being reported.

From: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828070/

"When you view the space that a mailbox uses in Exchange System Manager,
the amount only includes the space that is used by the Priv.edb file.
The amount does not include the space that the Priv.stm file uses."

Simon.

--
Simon Butler
MVP: Exchange, MCSE

e: si...@sembee.co.uk
w: http://www.sembee.co.uk/
w: http://www.amset.info/

w: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/

Need cheap certificates for Exchange, compatible with the iPhone?
http://CertificatesForExchange.com/ for certificates from just $23.99.
Need a domain for your certificate? http://DomainsForExchange.net/

Exchange Resources: http://exbpa.com/