I am having a difference of opinion with our hardware folks.  They built
a mailbox server with 36 GB of memory and allocated 4 GB of Ram on the
"C" for the Paging File.  Before changing it to System allocated, I
wanted to just double check.

I said that as far as I knew from TechNet, Exchange best practices
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719.aspx

"The page file size minimum and maximum must be set to physical RAM plus
10  MB"

The HW folks said, "Unless you want to be able to perform memory dumps
in the event of a STOP error (I've never had an occasion where they were
useful), there's not any advantage to having a page file that large.  If
a server is paging a lot, it doesn't have enough RAM, which is why these
servers were given a large amount of RAM to avoid excessive paging to
begin with."

What do you suggest for memory allocations for a <Mailbox Server ?

HP DL 370
2 x Quad-core Xeon X5550 @ 2.67GHz
36GB RAM
Windows Server 2008 R2
2 x 146GB 15K rpm RAID 1 (mirror) boot drive (~ 135GB)
4 x 300GB 10K rpm RAID 10 (stripped and mirrored) log file drive (~
550GB)
18 x 300GB 10K rpm RAID 10 Mailbox drive (~ 2.5TB)
3 x GB NIC, teamed.
1 x GB NIC, for replication

Thanks,
Alice

Alice Goodman, MCSE, LEED AP
P 206.832.8295 | C 206.793.4030 | F 206.658.1797
Sr. Exchange Administrator

McKINSTRY FOR THE LIFE OF YOUR BUILDING
Consulting | Construction | Energy | Facility Services

www.mckinstry.com <http://www.mckinstry.com/>