And what MS will do for SBS 2011  ?

GuidoElia
HELPPC

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Paul Gordon [mailto:paul_gor...@hotmail.com]
Inviato: venerdì 5 novembre 2010 11.04
A: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Oggetto: RE: What to upgrade too? Exchange 2007 or 2010?

In fact, if you are a small organisation, in some respects 2007 might be
better, since there are more and more flexible variations of database HA
available to you (SCC, SCR, LCR, CCR, etc.) - in 2010, these have all been
amalgamated into the all-singing, all-dancing DAG's which do in truth take all
the best bits of the previous confusing plethora of options... - BUT, every
server HAS to be an Exchange server hosting the mailbox role if it is to
participate... - in 2007, Small businesses that might otherwise have been
perfectly served by a single mailbox server had an option available to keep a
2nd copy of their mailbox database on the *Same* server (LCR) - you could in
theory, plug a portable external drive into a 2007 mailbox server and have
Exchange keep a replicated copy of the database in it, so you could at least
have some (albeit flawed) level of redundancy, whilst still only requiring a
single Windows & Exchange license...

With 2010 you can't do that any more... yes DAG's are way better in almost
every respect, except that now a small business wanting to keep a 2nd copy of a
database has to have at least 2 separate Exchange servers, thus doubling the
license requirements...

Might be a consideration?

Paul G.