From: Jim Holmgren [mailto:jholmg...@xlhealth.com]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2010 3:29 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Anyone working for a Healthcare provider experienced this?

So my boss was reviewing the CMS Readiness Checklist for 2010 (yeah, I know it
is nearly 2011) and came across this:

"Ensure effective security of all beneficiary information, whether in paper or
electronic format. Measures to protect the security and privacy of personally
identifiable information (PII) that should be taken by organizations include,
but are not limited to, ensuring that:
* Data files are not saved on public or private computers when accessing
corporate e$B!>(Jmail through the internet."

He is wondering if this means we need to come up with some clever way to
prevent OWA from downloading/viewing attachments, or if he is misinterpreting
it.

To me, this does indeed mean that we should not be allowing our employees
access to OWA, however I could take it one step further and say that this says
I should not be able to access email attachments remotely at all.  No VPN
access, no Blackberry, no nothing - after all, this data travels over the
Internet in one form or another.

Just curious if anyone else on the list works for a healthcare company and has
seen this.  Here is a link to the official document:

http://www.cms.gov/PrescriptionDrugCovContra/Downloads/MemoCY2010ReadinessChecklist_09.15.09.pdf

Jim

Jim Holmgren
Manager of Server Engineering
XLHealth Corporation
The Warehouse at Camden Yards
351 West Camden Street, Suite 100
Baltimore, MD 21201
410.625.2200 (main)
443.524.8573 (direct)
443-506.2400 (cell)
www.xlhealth.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including attachments, is for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or protected
health information. Under the Federal Law (HIPAA), the intended recipient is
obligated to keep this information secure and confidential. Any disclosure to
third parties without authorization from the member of as permitted by law is
prohibited and punishable under Federal Law. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of
the original message.

NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD: Este facs匇ile, incluyendo lo adjunto, es para el uso
exclusivo del destinatario(s) y puede contener informaci confidencial y/o
informaci protegida de salud. En virtud de la Ley Federal (HIPAA), el
destinatario tiene la obligaci de mantener esta informaci segura y
confidencial. Cualquier divulgaci a terceros sin la autorizaci de los
miembros de lo permitido por la ley est・prohibido y penado en virtud de la Ley
Federal. Si usted no es el destinatario, por favor, pgase en contacto con el
remitente por tel馭ono y destruir todas las copias del mensaje original