dunno.  will give it a go.  just found this article hidden in technet.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633455.aspx

It suggests that the Outlook 2010 requirement was only for Pre SP1.  So that
could be my savior.
I'll try uninstalling the Outlook and running the import.

Hpefully my original assumption was wrong.

-Bill