From: Reimer, Mark [mailto:mark.rei...@prairie.edu]
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2011 12:40 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Renaming (and changing the IP address) of an Exchange 2003 server

I apologize if you have seen it. We're not getting any indication that it has
gone out, although we've tried.

As part of upgrading from Exchange 2003 to 2010 we are looking at renaming our
old 2003 server box (new IP address, etc) but aren't sure of the ramifications
or actions we would need to take

1)      Within Exchange

2)      Between Exchange and AD

Here is a brief outline of what we are planning.

1.       Shut down services on Exchange 2003

2.       Rename/IP 2003 box

3.       Turn on services for Exchange 2003

4.       Rename/IP 2010 box (Exchange 2010 is not actually installed yet)

5.       Install Exchange 2010 (which should recognize 2003, and set up the
inter link between the two)

6.       After mailboxes, etc are all moved over, and everything is running on
2010, decommission 2003.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated,

Mark Reimer,  A+, MCSA
Windows Servers & Networking
Prairie Bible Institute
Box 4000