________________________________

        From: Ellis, John P. [mailto:johnel...@wirral.gov.uk]
        Sent: 23 May 2011 13:56
        To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
        Subject: Outlook freezing

        Outlook 2003
        Exchange 2003
        Windows XP clients

        We have had reports of some users in outlying sites (connected
via ATM 155mps line) that Outlook 2003 is sometimes freezing when
sending emails and getting a balloon popping up regarding retrieving
data etc.

At this point I usually abandon all rational instincts and scream  "disk
latency" on the log drives, but if its remote sites only then it could
be something else. We found users using the windows/xp search tool to
remotely search phone logs could bring even a 100meg link down...

        I have been sent a screen shot of the Exchange server connection
status screen (holding down CTRL and right clicking on the Outlook icon
in system tray)

You might have sent it, but the list server strips attachments so I
didn't see it. (It some times bounces my posts from Outlook Web Access!)

         The only counter that shows any fails is the connection to the
directory server and shows Req - 43 and Fails 5 with an 8ms response ti

Is your GC showing sign s of stress? I can't see it because I bet you
are a similar size to ourselves...

         The other counters for Mail show 12ms / 8ms / 4ms / 18ms / 25ms
for Mail Avg response

        Are these good figures?

        Since we upgraded last year to new hardware and fresh install of
Exchange the number of calls regarding "trying to retrieve data from xxx
server have dropped"

        So far no calls from 'local' staff reporting any slowness in
Outlook.

        Any pointers for tracking down this issue. i,e
server/client/comms ?

Have you tried downloading and running the Exchange Trouble Shooter. It
runs fine on 2003 boxes. It has a mode for pop-up problems.

Thanks

        John

Dave Wade

Business Services I.C.T.

0161 474 5456

This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and
are addressed. As a public body, the Council may be required to disclose this
email,  or any response to it,  under the Freedom of Information Act 2000,
unless the information in it is covered by one of the exemptions in the Act.

If you receive this email in error please notify Stockport ICT, Business
Services via email.qu...@stockport.gov.uk and then permanently remove it from
your system.

Thank you.

http://www.stockport.gov.uk