If the server is gone why not just delete the server name from the 2003
organization?  If a server died that needs to come back up then you do the
process below.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rubens Almeida [mailto:rubensalme...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:35 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Exchange 2003 clean-up

Folks,

I don't have all the details at the moment, but so far this is what I was
commissioned with: to remove dead servers from a Exchange 2003
organization.Then later on, upgrade  that org to Exchange 2007 or 2010.

This is the first part of my plan and I want to check ith you guys if am I
forgetting of something:

1. Fire up a virtual machine install Exch2003 with the disaster recovery option
pointing to one dead server 2. Fully patch it.
3. Uninstall  Exch2003 using its own setup procedure.
4. monitor queues and public folders replication for possible issues.
5. In case of problems, go ADSIEdit style and clean the left overs/repoint any
PFs replication.
6. Repeat the process on the next dead server.

Any comments/advice/hints/tips/gotchas is appreciated! Thanks!