I've only ever seen lagged copies talked about as methods to avoid transaction
log corruption leading to corrupt database copies. The idea being you can
identify the approximate time your database became corrupted and, well, what
then?

We use a simple one active one passive solution and backup the passive copy
nightly. We're protected against hardware and/or datacenter failure.

As an aside, I'm curious - does anyone here use more than three database
copies? I'd be interested to hear reasons for it from a risk management vs cost
perspective, rather than just "because we can".

Cheers

Richard