Set the Protocol logging level on the receive connector to "Verbose", and check
your smtp protocol logs for the message rejection.

From: Damien Solodow [mailto:damien.solo...@harrison.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:25 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: NDR tracking?

Ok, I'm having an issue with an externally originating message bouncing and I'm
apparently having a brain fart. Hopefully someone can help me clear the air.

Use from Gmail is sending a message to one of our recipients; total attachment
size is about 9.8 MB. Our SMTP gateway (Brightmail) allows attachments of up to
10240 KB, and is accepting the message from Gmail.

However, when it goes to hand it off to our Exchange 2010 SP1 HT server, it
gets a 5.3.4 Too large. I checked the receive connector as well as the Org
level settings for Transport, and it is set to allow messages of up to 10240
KB. I found a KB article for Brightmail gateway saying that due to format
conversion, etc, the message passed through to the downstream server can be up
to 30% larger. So, I updated the receive connector and the Org level settings
to 13312 KB (10240 * 1.3).

However, the message is still bouncing. What's even more frustrating is that
the Message Tracking and Tracking Log Explorer don't have any record of the
message. On both Hub Transports I increased the Diagnostic Logging for
MSExchangeTransport\DSN and MSExchangeTransport\SmtpReceive to High but nothing
in the logs.

What log(s) do I need to increase to find out how big the message is when the
HT tries to accept it so I can see how large it needs to accept?

Help me Obi-Wan...

DAMIEN SOLODOW
Systems Engineer
317.447.6033 (office)
317.447.6014 (fax)
HARRISON COLLEGE
500 North Meridian St
Suite 500
Indianapolis, IN 46204-1213
www.harrison.edu<http://www.harrison.edu/>

or send an email to
Note:
The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and
protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.