We are having issues with IMAP clients (various clients on various OS's)
connecting to Exchange 2007 CAS and mailbox servers when we change our TMG rule
to redirect clients to our 2010 CAS in preparation for an eventual migration to
Exchange 2010.  Currently there is a single external entry point for all IMAP
clients over port 993 pointing to our TMG server.  Our Exchange system consists
of TMG servers in an Array (two servers with a DB server) There are two
Exchange 2007 CAS running an NLB and a single 2007 CCR mailbox server.
Exchange 2010 has two CAS running an NLB with a 2 node DAG.  When we switch the
TMG rule to point to the Exchange 2010 CAS NLB we get a variety of intermittent
client RECEIVE (fetch) connectivity issues ranging from poor performance and
IMAP synchronization to on some clients, inability to connect.  Please note all
mailboxes are on Exchange 2007 we are just changing the TMG rule for IMAP
clients to point to the 2010 NLB.  Testing was also done redirecting to a
single 2010 CAS with similar results.

*         Thunderbird reported this Alert
"An error occurred during a connection to <OurDomainName>:993. SSL received a
record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. (Error code:
ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)"

*         Reinstalling or upgrading the IMAP client seemed to have helped in
some instances with this and some other performance / connectivity issues.

*         Outlook, configured as IMAP; reported synchronization issues.

*         In other tests, we've had IMAP clients reject the mailbox password
and continuously prompt for a password without locking the users AD account due
to bad passwords.

I opened a case with MS support and they analyzed the IMAP logging files, along
with everything else on TMG, DC's and Exchange servers without finding any
issues with these servers.  The IMAP clients are configured correctly as they
can connect once the rule is reverted back to point to the 2007 NLB.

One would assume that changing a TMG rule to point from an existing functioning
exchange 2007 server to an Exchange 2010 server would not generate widespread
intermittent client connectivity issues, but it seems to in our exchange
configuration.   Please note that we are NOT moving the mailboxes just a TMG
rule.

Has anyone come across or experienced this?  Any known solution?  Any and all
information is greatly appreciated

Steven Alfano
Sr. Systems Administrator
The Rockefeller University