It hate to say "it depends", but it does.

If you're doing a vanilla migration (2K3-to-2K10 within the same domain then
the tools MS provide combined with the wealth of resource documentation,
then no, you don't need anyone's add-on tools.

Cross-forest / cross-domain and MAD (Merger/Acquisition/Divestiture) then
QMM and others come into their own.

Pat (AKA expensive consultant <g>)