From: Pfefferkorn, Pete (pfeffepe) [mailto:pfeff...@ucmail.uc.edu]
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 10:44 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Exchange 2010 backup/DAGs question.

We are in the process of finalizing our Exchange 2010 deployment.  We will be
setting up Database Availability Groups for replication to two sites.  The
current 2007 deployment is over 4 terabytes in size and we anticipate that
growing substantially since we are going from 2 gig quotas to 10 gig quotas
right off the bat.  We currently use Tivoli to backup information using lanfree
backups and then those backups get written to tape.  Backup times are going 8
to 10 hours at times for full backups.  For 2010 we would like to go tapeless
and just use replication, but we are getting pushback from upper management on
this and the requirement to dump data to tape for offsite storage seems to be a
pressing issue.

My question is with 2010 what other backup solutions are available for the
amount of data we are speaking about.  If push comes to shove I would like to
at least give upper management a few options so they get the warm/fuzzy and
costs associated to the solutions.  We would like to create a third site off
campus and replicate data to the third site as well for DR purposes and
possibly make that a lag copy.  Management has the mindset that they would like
data dumped to physical media that could then be sent to  Iron Mountain which
is where our mainframe tapes go for storage.   If we lose both sites on
campus...bring back the media....then rebuild.

Sorry if this has been hashed through before.

Pete Pfefferkorn
University of Cincinnati Information Technology Services
Operating Systems Analyst/Messaging Administrator
Phone: (513) 556-9076
Fax: (513) 556-2042
Email: pete.pfefferk...@uc.edu<mailto:pete.pfefferk...@uc.edu>

or send an email to