From: Alan Davies [mailto:adav...@cls-services.com]
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 5:13 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Cloud-Based Email Filtering

I’ll second that – about 10 years experience with them across multiple
roles.  No issues at all.  If you think this exposes you to additional
operational risk or security risk, you probably overestimate greatly your
own operational or security capabilities! ;o)

That said, the portal could sometimes be easier to use and Symantec taking
over fills me with dread for the future development of the service ..

Honestly, cloud services for email and web traffic are an absolute
no-brainer for me these days.  It’s such a great fit and great price that
you’d have to be trying *really* hard to do better, let alone cheaper,
internally – I’ve never come across a company that does so.  The additional
benefits of removing Internet peering touchpoints from your network
shouldn’t be underestimated either from a security perspective.  If you do
both of these things and also enforce device control on authorised media
(preferably along with a policy for offline scanning prior to internal use
once they touch a non-company machine), then malware is going to have a
seriously hard time getting onto your systems (not that I wouldn’t recommend
application whitelisting, removal of admin, etc. and all other sensible host
measures).